Now (or Recently)
- Lost Japan Alex Kerr is a gaijin living in Japan who despairs at the loss of culture in the name of progress, and who also works to restore old buildings in various parts of Japan.
- Hacks, Leaks, and Revelations: The Art of Analyzing Hacked and Leaked Data by Micah Lee This is more technical manual than history or novel, but it is fascinating. It’s really a how-to of sensitive data analysis.
- Endless Loop: The History of the BASIC Programming Language (Beginner’s All-purpose Symbolic Instruction Code) It’s just fun.
Stuck in Progress
- The Confusion This one might take the rest of my life to get through. It’s very enjoyable, but Neal Stephenson never met a detail he didn’t love to throw in as a 15 page aside.
Movies and TV
- Radioactive Forest: 10 Years After (2022) — The Movie Database (TMDB) We watched this on Curiosity Stream and enjoyed it. It’s slightly dissatisfying in terms of conclusions – there aren’t any strong ones – but that’s life, because there’s a lot we still don’t understand about what long term effects there will be in this area due to radioactive contamination.
- Silent Night | Official Movie Site | Where to Watch I’m not gonna lie, this is a dumb movie. There are a few satisfying scenes of people getting what they deserve in well-coreographed ways, but I can’t say you should spend money to watch it.
- Cold Pursuit This is a stupid movie and you shouldn’t watch it. Still, it was not bad for a late night, half-asleep viewing, watching bad people get killed. More bad people should probably get killed.
- The Last of Us Human fungal infections are on the rise, so this hits a little too close to home, maybe, but I’m kind of enjoying it. I’m watching this super slowly.
Food and Drink
- MENU | Mochinut Mochinut Matcha donuts!!
- Caffe Del Sol | Espresso Blend | Caffe Vita Coffee Roasting Co.
- Mochó Blend – Café Mam
- Creating a wiki site for myself for links and topic notes. I also would like to create a private home wiki for my family, inspired by Jason of Hemispheric Views Podcast.
- Trying to come up with a light theme that I actually like for my own site. Blue. There has to be blue.
- Learning all about customizing QMK keyboards with QMK Configurator
- Body weight and core exercises
I’m really going back to longer runs and bike rides again after a period of much needed variation and focus on HIIT and body weight exercises. Yoga is always a constant. I do some yoga almost daily.
- Trying to get two cats to tolerate each other. It’s taking forever. Don’t expect this section to change for 6 or 7 years.